Our mission is to reduce violence,
and nurture cognitive growth, physical activity, economic opportunity,
and local roots culture.
More than half of our apprentices are girls.
Click here to order now!
Click for Project Goals
BUT THERE IS INCREDIBLE POTENTIAL HERE. These soulful folk represent a deep history. The young people are a precious creative resource, yet many lack the resources to be creative. The BOOM seeks to provide some of those resources.
- We deliver our activities in the heart of the most troubled neighborhoods, often in backyards.
- We provide mentoring in boombox electronics, bicycle repair, motorcycle repair, and more. Participants learn to use professional tools, techniques, and terminology.
- We create apprenticeships for at-risk young adults in local vehicle shops, art studios, and machine shops.
- Boombox sales teach entrepreneurship, and offer an opportunity to earn.
-Jonathan M, on probation, 15 yrs old, after a successful system test
The population of Bayview Hunters Point has a history of work in the trades. One unemployed young man from Double Rock describes his father as a busy electrical contractor during the 1980's. Those days are gone-- most local employers hire mostly non-residents. But the BOOM believes a revival of the trades may be the right prescription.
Our method is to develop a high-quality, bumpin' music product, designed to consumer standards, that can be built at low cost by our trained crafts-people. Then, we'll implement a street-savvy marketing strategy to get this product into the eager hands of B-Boys and B-Girls everywhere (that’s Bicycle Boys and Bicycle Girls)
- put electronics skills into the hands of more participants
- purchase capacitors, soldering irons, spray paint, and so on
- perfect our boombox design
- hire instructors
- grow our community bicycle repair facilities
- and host more motorcycle repair classes.
Click here to get your boombox!
We are fiscally sponsored by Empowerment Works, who has created economic development projects through arts and culture in Africa.
(1) Bayview-Hunters Point residents suffer twice the average U.S. rate of asthma, cervical, and breast cancer, and have hospitalization rates that are three times the national rate for congestive heart failure, hypertension, and emphysema. Bayview-Hunters Point and the bordering neighborhood of Potrero Hill also have significantly higher rates of bronchitis and other upper respiratory diseases in children. More info 1, more info 2.